Friday, April 15, 2011

Why We Need Daily Scrums

For me a scrum team's goal is to be a self managing team. Not knowing what your teammates are up to is not very helpful in achieving this goal. I know that there are other people that aren't comfortable with meetings. That is one of the reason why a daily scrum is held in less than 15 mins. and usually standing up.

Daily scrums keep you and your teammates up-to-date. Yes, you may easily tell your teammate that you need help. But what about those moments that you end up being blocked because you don't know who could help you. Scrums help mitigate this risk. You'll never know that the least person you thought could help you might actually know the solution.

I prefer having the scrums during the start of the day. Why? Because I don't want my focus to be broken in the middle of the day. And I want to respect the time of my teammates. Respect is key for me.

Given that our projects doesn't have the luxury of being co-located, this daily scrum helps in making the team's connection stronger. They need to be comfortable with each other despite the distance. Its almost an impossible goal but for me, daily scrums could help ease the tension.

At the moment, these are my main reasons as to why we need daily scrums. How about you? Why do you do them?



** Also posted in http://info.exist.com/blogs/bid/47363/Why-We-Need-Daily-Scrums

No comments: